the definitive resource center for Windows Server 2008 backup
15,313 sysadmins have the solution. Now you can too in under 7 minutes
HOWTO: Exchange 2007 Restoration from Windows Server 2008
Exchange can be directly restored using the Windows Server Backup Restore Wizard on Windows 2008 from backups made through BackupAssist.
Please note: some of the instructions outlined here are available in the Windows Server Backup help file.
Before attempting to restore Exchange 2007 using Windows Server Backup from a drive image backup created with BackupAssist, make sure of the following:
- You are completing the restore with Windows Server 2008. Windows Vista
only provides support for drive volume restore.
- The backup you wish to restore from is located on either an external hard
drive or a remote shared folder (eg. on a NAS device). You cannot restore
individual files and folders from a drive image backup located on a REV drive.
- To recover files and folders you must be a member of the Backup Operators
or Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate
- The following registry key will need to contain the string value highlighted below:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WindowsServerBackup\Application Support\
String name: Application Identifier
|Restoring Exchange 2007 - step by step|
- Launch the Exchange Management Console by navigating to Start > All programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 > Exchange Management Console.
- Expand Server Configuration from the left pane and select Mailbox.
- Right-click each database listed in the middle pane individually and select Dismount Database.
- Once the databases have been dismounted, right-click each database individually and select Properties and then check This database can be overwritten by a restore.
- Launch BackupAssist and click Restore
in the navigation bar.
- Click Imaging engine restore. Windows Server Backup
will then launch.
Recover under the Actions
- Once the Recovery Wizard has launched, select "This server", and then click Next.
- Select the date from the calendar and the time from the drop-down
list of the backup you want to restore from. If you are recovering from
this computer and the backup you select is stored on a removable media drive, you will be prompted to insert the relevant media.
Then click Next.
- When asked what you would like to recover, choose the option
for Applications, and click Next.
- Under Applications, highlight "Exchange", and
then click Next.
- Under Recovery destination, select Original location, and then click Next.
- Review the details, and click Recover to restore your Exchange Server.
- You can then view the status of the recovery operation and whether or
not it was successfully completed.
- Once recovery operation completes successfully, return to the Exchange Management Console (step 1) and mount each of the restored databases by right-clicking each one individually and selecting Mount Database.