the definitive resource center for Windows Server 2008 backup
15,313 sysadmins have the solution. Now you can too in under 7 minutes
HOWTO: Restore Windows Vista from a NAS Device using an image backup
Vista can be restored directly from a NAS device using the Windows Recovery Environment on Windows 2008 from backups made using BackupAssist.
Please note: this article is for the sole purpose of restoring Vista using an image located on a NAS device to an unrecoverable machine.
Before attempting to restore Windows Vista using Windows Server Backup from a drive image backup created with BackupAssist, ensure the following:
|Restoring a Windows Vista image located on a NAS Device
- Place the Windows Server 2008 DVD into the DVD drive of the computer.
- Start up the computer and press F8 to gain access to the Advanced Boot Options menu.
- When the Advanced Boot Options menu appears, select the Directory Services Restore Mode option.
- After certain setup files are loaded, an Install Windows screen will appear. Click the Next button located at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- A Windows Installer screen will appear with some options available. Click Repair your computer.
- A Systems Recovery Options box will appear with a list of the operating systems which are available for restore. Select the OS that you need to restore and click Next.
- The Choose a Recovery tool screen will now appear. Click Windows Complete PC restore.
A warning may appear indicating that a valid backup location could not be found. This can be ignored.
- Select Restore a Different Backup and click Next.
- When selecting the location of the backup, click Advanced > Search for a backup on the network. A prompt will appear asking if you want to connect to the network. Click Yes.
- Enter the network path of the backup location and click OK.
- An authentication box will appear, where you will need to enter the Username and Password of the NAS device. Once this is done click OK.
- A list of available backups to restore from will now be displayed. Select the appropriate backup to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive letter that needs to be restored from the list provided.
- Tick the check box asking to Format and Re-partition disks and then click Next.
- A summary screen will now appear. Click Finish.
- A confirmation of format warning will appear. Click OK to start the restore process.
- A progress bar of the restore should now appear and once the restore has completed, the machine will be automatically rebooted.
After the reboot you should now see the Vista login screen.